Advocacy Advisor Position Open at ICI
The Advocacy Advisor with the Institute for Community Inclusion (ICI) will support projects across the ICI. ICIs projects focus on helping people with disabilities work, participate in their communities, go to college, and practice self-determination. This person will also work with the ICI Citizen Advisory Board. ICI is based in Boston but will consider people for this job who work remotely. This position is part-time, 15 hours per week.
Examples of Duties
- Work with staff to write materials in plain language
- Help with grant-writing
- Join project meetings and advise staff on how to better include people with disabilities in their project activities
- Assist in training new board members for ICI projects
- Attend trainings, conferences, or workshops
- Work on specific projects as assigned
- Occasional travel to meetings and conferences as needed, including national travel
- Identify as a person with lived experience in the area of intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Knowledge of and experience in using a computer. For example, knowing how to use email, an online calendar, and how to use Zoom.
- Experience in being an advocate, for yourself or for others.
- Willingness to learn new skills. Skills may include presenting to an audience, co-facilitating meetings, writing in plain language.
This Advocacy Advisor will receive regular supervision from a full-time staff person who is experienced in supporting employees with disabilities. We do not provide job coach support. However, you can receive supports from a job coach if you have one.
- ICI will provide the Advocacy Advisor with a laptop and necessary software. Remote candidates are required to have access to high-speed internet and a quiet work environment.
- UMass Boston requires background checks for all employees. The background checks will be conducted upon hire.
- We will provide disability related accommodations in the application process. Let us know if you will need an accommodation to apply for this position.
Closing Date: August 18th, 2023